Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM)
SHSM Application Form
Every SHSM requires:
1. A Bundle of Grade 11 and Grade 12 Credits
These credits make up the bundle:
- four major credits that provide sector-specific knowledge and skills. The four courses must include at least one Grade 11 and one Grade 12 credit, and may include one cooperative education credit related to the sector. (This cooperative education credit would be additional to the two that are required in the bundle; see below)
- other required credits from the Ontario curriculum (see specific SHSMs for other credit requirements)
- two cooperative education credits that provide authentic learning experiences in a workplace setting, enabling students to refine, extend, apply, and practice sector-specific knowledge and skills
2. Sector-recognized Certifications and/or Training
All SHSMs require students to complete sector-recognized certifications and/or training courses/programs.
|Three compulsory certifications common to all SHSMs are:|
|Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Level C – includes automated external defibrillation (AED)||Standard First Aid||Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) – generic (i.e., not site-specific) instruction|
Additionally, elective certifications are required and vary by program. Please see specific SHSMs for more details.
3. Experiential Learning and Career Exploration Activities
4. Reach Ahead Experiences
5. Sector Partnered Contextualized Experience (SPCE)